You can feel dirty when you go minimalist camping. When you get to your campsite after hiking for a few hours, having to go bushwhacking to find a spot to set up your tent, cleaning your camp, organizing it, collecting and chopping firewood, hanging a bear bag, and so on, you might get a little bit dirty. I love backpacking, kayaking and spending time outdoors and I still like to feel clean and pampered when participating in those activities. But, Nick is also worried about how much gear we are bringing. He doesn’t want me to overload myself by bringing a bunch of non-essential beauty products. So as a happy medium, I have one small toiletry bag that I bring on all of our minimalist camping trips. Moreover, I have created a list of all the items I keep in my toiletry bag. I believe that all these items are essential to feel papered while living in the bush for a few days.
What’s in my toiletry bag:
- Chapstick: For me, this is a must! I absolutely hate having chapped lips while away on a trip. My favorite chapstick is Lip Service from Lush. I love Lush because they use natural ingredients and are environmentally conscious. This chapstick features beeswax, which is one of my favorite ingredients because it really seals in moisture!
- Travel size mirror and brush: I usually tie up my hair in an knot before going to bed and I find that when I wake up my hair is really tangled. This has saved me a few times while backpacking! I think you would be able to find a mirror and brush combo at the dollar store. If not, here is another option from Amazon.
- Moisturizer: I usually just put my lush moisturizer into a travel size container and bring it with me.
- Face wipes: or baby wipes. They do the job and can double as a wash cloth after you’ve gone hiking or set up camp!
- Travel size deodorant: I find it so comforting to wash up with the baby wipes and then put some deodorant on!
- Girl’s emergency kit: I found a great one at Chapters. The kit includes pair of earring backs, a deodorant towelette, double sided tape, stain remover, an emery board, clear nail polish, clear elastics, breath freshener, lip balm, dental floss, bobby pins, nail polish pad remover, hair spray, a safety pin, an adhesive bandage, a mending kit, and a tampon. It might be a little excessive, but it’s still a great kit to keep in your purse!
Did I miss anything? What else would you bring? Let me know in the comments below!