When going for a day hike it is important to bring the proper gear. You never know what may happen, it’s always better to be prepared for anything! Many of us think that we wont get lost or hurt while out on the trail, but there is always a chance it could happen. I believe that if you want to enjoy the outdoors, you have to do it responsibly. I have linked the items that I have from MEC, I trust them and love them! Here is my list of what to bring hiking:
- Flashlight or headlamp
- Matches: I like to get waterproof matches. I’ve never had to use them, but I just think a sealed container is a good idea (especially since I live in raincouver!)
- Poncho: this is a must have when in Vancouver!
- Emergency blanket
- Bear spray: Nick and I each carry one, we also have bear flares
- Extra clothes: at minimum you should bring a sweater, no matter what season you are hiking in!
- Pocket Knife
- First aid kit: It’s a good idea to have some knowledge about first aid as well. The kit wont come in handy if you don’t know how to use it!
- Compass and map: as previously stated, its a good idea to know how to use them!
- Food and water: make sure you stay hydrated! You don’t want to end up like me on my first backpacking adventure!
A lot of these items are great to put on your Christmas list! The items on my “what to bring hiking” list come in handy and are pretty inexpensive. I truly believe that the items above are the essential minimal amount of gear to bring on any adventure.
Did I miss anything? What would you bring hiking? Let me know in the comments below!